Re: Pipes and fd question. Large amounts of data.

From: Chris Friesen
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 10:04:30 EST

Oded Shimon wrote:
On Sunday 30 January 2005 11:41, Miles wrote:

I'd say that this was one of the rare cases where a solution using
threads is not only superior to one using event-driven IO, but actually
required.

Yeah, I reached just about the same conclusion. At first I thought only 2 threads were necessary, one for each data flow, but I realized a deadlock could happen just as well in that too. Making a 4 thread implementation I trust is gonna be hard... I better get working. :)

Your other option would be to use processes with shared memory (either sysV or memory-mapped files). This gets you the speed of shared memory maps, but also lets you get the reliability of not sharing your entire memory space.

If you use NPTL, your locking should be quick as well. If not, you can always roll your own futex-based locking.

Chris