Re: Pipes and fd question. Large amounts of data.

From: Oded Shimon
Date: Mon Jan 31 2005 - 10:15:19 EST

On Monday 31 January 2005 17:02, Chris Friesen wrote:
> Your other option would be to use processes with shared memory (either
> sysV or memory-mapped files). This gets you the speed of shared memory
> maps, but also lets you get the reliability of not sharing your entire
> memory space.
>
> If you use NPTL, your locking should be quick as well. If not, you can
> always roll your own futex-based locking.

To be honest, most of that was gibrish to me (NTPL, futex, sysV..).. Most of
my experience with system calls is with pipes and files, I know very little
about these other things...
Either way, you are a bit late, just half an hour ago, I have completed my
program, and it works. :) I finished the pthread instead of select()
implementation pretty quickly (now I understand why lazy programmers use
threads.. heh), what took me so long was troubles with the 2 other programs,
had to refine their command line params carefully...
(btw, the 2 other programs - MPlayer and MEncoder, and my job was transferring
video AND audio between them.)

Thankyou for the reply,
- ods15