Problem in accessing executable files

From: Vineet Joglekar
Date: Tue Feb 01 2005 - 09:01:09 EST

Hi all,

I am trying to add some cryptographic functionality to ext2 file system for my masters project. I am working with kernel 2.4.21

since the routines do_generic_file_read and do_generic_file_write are used in reading and writing, I am decrypting and encrypting the data in the resp. functions. This is working fine for regular data files. If I try to copy / execute executable files, I am getting segmentation fault. In kernel messages, I see same functions (read and write) getting called for the executables also. If I comment encrypt/decrypt functions, its working fine.

Now since it is working for regular text files, I suppose there is not a problem in my encrypt/decrypt routines, then what might be going wrong?

Thanks and regards,

Vineet