Re: ALSA HELP: Crackling and popping noises with via82xx

From: Tomasz Torcz
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 01:39:28 EST

On Tue, Feb 01, 2005 at 09:34:59PM -0500, Timothy Miller wrote:
> Basically, I get random poppling and crackling noises out of my
> speakers. Sometimes it's silent, and sometimes, it crackles and pops
> for minutes at a time. It's really disturbing, really, because it
> happens suddenly, sometimes very loudly, and usually when I'm
> concentrating. :)

Try to play with sound card's latency timer using setpci. For me,
that's the only way to silent unwanted pops on ens1370. It may work
with via, too.

Magic command is: /sbin/setpci -v -s 01:09.0 latency_timer=40
You have to substitute 01:09.0 with your card's PCI location and play
around with latency_time value.

--
Tomasz Torcz "Never underestimate the bandwidth of a station
zdzichu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wagon filled with backup tapes." -- Jim Gray