Copyright / licensing question

From: Frank klein
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 09:53:17 EST

Hi,
I have got an offer to write a book on Linux
filesystems. In this I would like to cover existing
filesystems like ext3, xfs etc. I would also cover
embedded file systems such as jffs,ROMfs,cramsf etc.

I am having some licensing questions. It would be
really great if you can clarify on them

1. For explaining the internals of a filesystem in
detail, I need to take their code from kernel sources
'as it is' in the book. Do I need to take any
permissions from the owner/maintainer regarding this ?
Will it violate any license if reproduce the driver
source code in my book ??

2. I will write some custom drivers also for
illustration. For this I shall include kernel headers.
I also intend to put this in the book. From whom I
need to take permission regarding this ? The book will
be supported by a web-site. I have no problems in
releasing my custom code under GPL. But Am I violating
any license by putting the code in the book ?

Please CC me

Thanks

yours
Frank Klein