Re: [patch, 2.6.11-rc2] sched: RLIMIT_RT_CPU_RATIO feature

From: Peter Williams
Date: Wed Feb 02 2005 - 22:28:48 EST

Bill Huey (hui) wrote:
On Thu, Feb 03, 2005 at 08:54:24AM +1100, Peter Williams wrote:

As Ingo said in an earlier a post, with a little ingenuity this problem can be solved in user space. The programs in question can be setuid root so that they can set RT scheduling policy BUT have their permissions set so that they only executable by owner and group with the group set to a group that only contains those users that have permission to run this program in RT mode. If you wish to allow other users to run the program but not in RT mode then you would need two copies of the program: one set up as above and the other with normal permissions.

Again, in my post that you snipped you didn't either read or understand
what I was saying regarding QoS,

I guess that I thought that it was overkill for the problem under discussion and probably won't solve it anyway. Giving any task special preferential (emphasis on the preferential) treatment should require authorization by a suitably privileged entity at some stage. So the problem of how ordinary users manage to launch tasks that receive preferential treatment will remain.

nor about the large scale issues regarding
dual/single kernel development environments. Ultimately this stuff requires
non-trivial support in kernel space, a softirq thread migration mechanism
and a frame driven scheduler to back IO submission across async boundaries.

My posts where pretty clear on this topic and lot of this has origins
coming from SGI IRIX. Yes, SGI IRIX. One of the only system man enough
to handle this stuff.

Ancient, antiquated Unix scheduler semantics (sort and run) and lack of
control over critical facilities like softirq processing are obstacles
to getting at this.

Sorry for upsetting you,
Peter
--