[ANNOUNCE] Filesystem in Userspace - 2.2

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 06:47:21 EST

FUSE version 2.2 is out there:

http://sourceforge.net/project/showfiles.php?group_id=121684&package_id=132802&release_id=301878

This can be used standalone or with recent -mm kernels (with the
exception of -rc2-mm2).

Most notable changes since 2.1:

- Added file handle parameter to open/read/write/release. This
should make life easier for filesystems wanting to implement
stateful I/O.

- Added compatibility to the 2.1 and to some extent to the 1.X API

- Re-added ability to interrupt operations. This time more
carefully than in 1.X.

Regressions:

- Removed shared-writable mmap support, which could deadlock the
linux memory subsystem. This should not affect most people, but
if some application breaks for you, I'd like to hear about it.

- Made the readpages() operation synchronous, again for deadlock
considerations. This can degrade performance, especially for high
latency filesystems, since previously parallel read-ahead is now
serialized.

In the long run I hope to solve both problems, but neither is trivial.
Ideas are welcome, as well as bugreports of course.

Thanks,
Miklos