Re: usb hotplug problems with 2.6.10

From: Jason L Tibbitts III
Date: Thu Feb 03 2005 - 14:02:07 EST

JH> Alan, I had mentioned a couple weeks back that with kernel 2.6.10,
JH> the ability to hotplug usb keys in Fedora Core 2 and 3 has been
JH> broken.

The true issue is a little more complicated than that. The kernel
issue here is that under 2.6.9 (or Red Hat's versions thereof)
usb-storage devices would be picked up by the SCSI layer immediately
after the usb-storage module became aware of them. Under Red Hat's
2.6.10 (which currently includes -ac11) there is a delay of
five or ten seconds between the device appearing in
/sys/bus/usb/drivers/usb-storage and it showing up as a SCSI device.

This delay has broken some stuff. Yes, Red Hat's userland hotplugging
bits made incorrect assumptions and should be fixed. The question is
whether this kernel delay is intended and, if not, how to fix it.
Even after I've hacked around the userland problems I still have
people asking why it takes so long for their USB keys to show up.

- J<