Re: DVD-RW writes but doesn't read

From: Samuel Torres
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 00:05:23 EST

Just a few days ago I installed a brand new OEM AOpen DUW1608/ARR. At times while mounting DVDs the drive would lose files between ls's, or get I/O errors while ls'ing. I also noticed the same errors you posted below. I might have stumbled across a solution to this problem. In my BIOS I changed all of the AUTO's in the CD/DVD drive properties and set them to CD/DVD (drive type), PIO-4 (PIO MODE), and DMA-4 (DMA MODE). This change had an apparent effect which no longer produces such reading errors, at least from the 4 reading tests (2 DVD and 2 CD). The 2 DVD reads were done with vobcopy, and the CD tests were done with cdrdao, and md5sum (checking the Ubuntu files with the CD with the provided md5sum.txt, from within the CD, in the DVD drive).

Hope it works.