Re: [Fastboot] Re: kdump on non-boot cpu

From: Itsuro Oda
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 01:06:04 EST

Hi,

> The reason I was asking and assuming you had a 32bit kernel is that
> you were quoting pieces of arch/i386/kernel/crash.c instead of
> arch/x86_64/kernel/crash.c

Using "arch/i386/kernel/crash.c" is just for explanation how we avoid
the hang. (I found x86_64 kdump is not supported in 2.6.11-rc2-mm1 :-))

The attached log is a log of running mkdump (it supports x86_64). not kdump.
The basic procedure before jumping new kernel is almost same as kdump.
So I inform this infromation to you since I think it may be helpfull
for kdump development.

> Ok. Thanks. This is a legitimate bug. And it is probably the reason
> I even care about the non-SMP interrupt case some days. The problem
> is that the kernel just assumes interrupts are setup in non-APIC mode
> when it starts booting, and quite possibly only the bootstrap cpu can
> see those interrupts.
>
> So I believe the fix needs to be to enable apics before we calibrate
> the delay timer. I'm not certain off the top of my head what that
> patch will look like but it should not be fundamentally hard.
> With that code in place we also don't need to do any APIC shutdown
> as the kernel knows enough to completely setup the apics.

I see. Thank you for your explanation.

Thanks.
--
Itsuro ODA <oda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>