Re: ext3 extended attributes refcounting wrong?

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 03:30:45 EST

Stephen C. Tweedie writes:
> Hi,
>
> On Thu, 2005-02-03 at 22:42, Mikael Pettersson wrote:
> > I believe there is some accounting error in the ext3 code
> > for the case when CONFIG_EXT3_FS_XATTR is not selected.
> >
> > Whenever any one of my development boxes triggers an fsck
> > at boot because some file system, usually /, has been mounted
> > sufficiently many times, an inconsistency error occurs
>
> In which kernel(s) exactly? There was a fix for that applied fairly
> recently upstream.

I've been seeing this over the last couple of months, with
(at least) 2.4.28 and newer, and 2.6.9 and newer standard kernels.
But since I dual boot and switch kernels often, I can't point
at any given kernel or kernel series as being the culprit.

How recent was that fix? Maybe I'm seeing the aftereffects of
pre-fix corruption?

> > Extended attribute block N has reference count M, should be M'.
>
> > This occurs on all my boxes, with different CPUs (x86/x86-64/ppc)
> > and different chipsets (Intel, Promise, VIA, Apple), and basically
> > the only commonalities are:
> > - they dual boot the most recent 2.4 and 2.6 kernels, and I switch often
> > - all file systems are ext3
> > - all XATTR stuff is disabled
>
> I'm not sure how you get this if all xattr stuff is disabled! Are you
> sure you're not using SELinux or ACLs, for example?

Absolutely. I use no xattrs, ACLs, or SELinux at all, and I always
disable those features in my kernels.

/Mikael