Re: Drive performance bottleneck

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 04:36:47 EST

Ian Godin <Ian.Godin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> I am trying to get very fast disk drive performance and I am seeing
> some interesting bottlenecks. We are trying to get 800 MB/sec or more
> (yes, that is megabytes per second). We are currently using
> PCI-Express with a 16 drive raid card (SATA drives). We have achieved
> that speed, but only through the SG (SCSI generic) driver. This is
> running the stock 2.6.10 kernel. And the device is not mounted as a
> file system. I also set the read ahead size on the device to 16KB
> (which speeds things up a lot):
> samples % symbol name
> 848185 8.3510 __copy_to_user_ll
> 772172 7.6026 do_anonymous_page
> 701579 6.9076 _spin_lock_irq
> 579024 5.7009 __copy_user_intel
> 361634 3.5606 _spin_lock
> 343018 3.3773 _spin_lock_irqsave
> 307462 3.0272 kmap_atomic
> 193327 1.9035 page_fault

Something funny is happening here - it looks like there's plenty of CPU
capacity left over.

It's odd that you're getting a lot of pagefaults in this test but not with
the sg_dd test, too. I wonder why dd is getting so many pagefaults? (I
recall that sg_dd did something cheaty, but I forget what it was).

Could you monitor the CPU load during the various tests? If the `dd'
workload isn't pegging the CPU then it could be that there's something
wrong with the I/O submission patterns.