Re: Huge unreliability - does Linux have something to do with it?

From: jerome lacoste
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 06:31:51 EST

>> Could a hardware failure look like bad sectors to fsck?
>
> A failure of the bus or a former sporadic error can cause defective fs, but
> normally you have a read error in fsck no structure error.
>
> Are you using hdparm? is the system perhaps overheating or overclocked?

no overclock
hdparm is used but I cannot tell you exactly what the config is (now
machine has been running memtest for 1.5 hour). I don't think I use
special option: probably the defaults in my config file (mult_sect 16,
dma on, write_cache off).

overheating: perhaps. The machine is hot and running many hours per
day (usually 12-16). It s running the fans very often, but it's always
been like that. I've tried to control the fan, but then the
temperature goes high very quickly. So I let the fans run.