Re: Huge unreliability - does Linux have something to do with it?

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 07:11:08 EST

Please keep me CCd

jerome lacoste wrote:
> particular hardware (Dell Inspiron 8100)? I run Linux on 3 other

I have this exact same laptop. It works perfectly for me with linux.
Originally started with a 2.4 kernel and recently went to 2.6.10. The modem
works well, the video card works well even with 3D accel. I replaced the
original 30gb hdd with a 40gb (for space reasons). The only complaint about
this thing I have is the fact they used an nvidia video chip. I have seen
more than 4 months uptime on it (I used to use it as a desktop)

I did have a hardware mouse problem, but replacing the touchpad/palm rest
fixed that. I'd give it a 4 star (out of five, mainly because of the video
chipset and the keyboard layout)