Re: [RFC] Reliable video POSTing on resume

From: James Simmons
Date: Fri Feb 04 2005 - 20:13:50 EST

> > int video_helper(struct video_actions *what_to_do)
>
> I do not know, synchronously executing userland code from kernel seems
> like wrong thing to do.

I'm not a fan for this either. The good news is most graphics cards don't
require these tricks. The only ones that do are the ix86 cards. The real
solution would be if the hradware vendors open the parts of the spec to do
what we need. Many of the older cards could be supported in this way if we
talk to the vendors. They shouldn't care if the specs are released anymore.
The problem would be the latest Radeon card and NVIDIA cards which
unfortunely are the most common cards for x86 platforms ;-(