Re: 2.6.11-rc3-mm1

From: Joseph Fannin
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 07:33:33 EST

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 09:33:44PM +1100, Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
> On Sun, 2005-02-06 at 11:07 +0100, Peter Osterlund wrote:
> > Andrew Morton <akpm@xxxxxxxx> writes:
> >
> > > ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.11-rc3/2.6.11-rc3-mm1/
> >
> > It gives me a kernel panic at boot if I have CONFIG_FB_RADEON
> > enabled. If I also have CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE enabled, I get this
> > output:
> >
> > Unable to handle kernel NULL pointer dereference at virtual address 00000000
> > PREEMPT
> > EIP is a strncpy_from_user+0x33/0x47
> > Call Trace:
> > getname+0x69/0xa5
> > sys_open+0x12/0xc6
> > sysenter_past_esp+0x52/0x75
> > Kernel panic - not syncing: Attempted to kill init!
> >
> > If I don't have CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE enabled, I get a screen
> > with random junk and some blinking colored boxes, and the machine
> > hangs.
>
> That's very strange... I don't see what in radeonfb could cause this.
> Just in case, can you try commenting out the call to radeon_pm_init() in
> radeon_base.c, see if it makes any difference (though I don't think so).

Peter, do you maybe have CONFIG_CC_OPTIMIZE_FOR_SIZE=y? I just rebuilt
-rc3-mm1 to turn that off, and an Oops in copy_to_user in the i810 DRM
module went away. That could have just been that it forced a rebuild
with a cold ccache, I guess.

The completely unrelated Oops in radeonfb I was seeing is gone
now, and it works fine here (BTW).

--
Joseph Fannin
jfannin@xxxxxxxxx