Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] Remove PT_GNU_STACK support before 2.6.11

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 08:19:00 EST

On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 01:06:50PM +0000, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
> On Sun, Feb 06, 2005 at 02:01:52PM +0100, Andi Kleen wrote:
> > > correct,
> > > http://lists.ximian.com/archives/public/mono-list/2004-June/021592.html
> > >
> > > that fixes mono instead
> >
> > Silent breakage => bad.
>
> silent breakage for newly compiled buggty and non-portable code.

Executing custom code in mmap is by definition non portable,
so this argument doesn't make very much sense.

> Still not nice but certainly tolerable.

I strongly disagree that breaking source level compatibility silently like
this is tolerable.

Especially since it won't even affect most users, so most developers
won't notice it, only the x86-64 users. This makes it extremly
silent for most people.

-Andi