Re: [PROPOSAL/PATCH] Remove PT_GNU_STACK support before 2.6.11

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 08:47:51 EST

> fortunately there's this 'NX-emulation' thing called exec-shield which
> is part of Fedora (and has been part of it for almost 2 years) and did
> all the testing for you on all x86 hardware, on thousands of packages
> and on over a ten thousand binaries, well in advance of this going
> upstream. It wasnt a bump-free ride, but it was worth it.

But apparently a completely different patch was tested
with quite different semantics.

> (the Mono bug was found this way, the Grub one wasnt, due to it being

But not fixed in mainline mono.

And also as far as I can figure out there was no effort
to warn user land people about this intrusive change,
and tell them what they need to do when they recompile.

> RWE. But if it triggers it shows up immediately so it's not like you
> have no sign that something wrong is going on. Only grub-install
> triggers it and no boot/install kernel i know of defaults to
> PAE-enabled, that's what caused grub-install being used in an NX
> scenario so infrequently.)
>
> anyway, this particular flamewar might have made more sense last Summer.

Last summer nobody did change the 32bit ABI on x86-64.

I only started it because the bug reports are appearing now
and it's clear now that we have a problem.

-Andi