Re: [linux-usb-devel] 2.6: USB disk unusable level of data corruption

From: David Brownell
Date: Sun Feb 06 2005 - 23:03:49 EST

On Sunday 06 February 2005 7:59 am, Giuseppe Bilotta wrote:

> I have a MAGNEX/ViPower USB/FirWire external HD enclosure. I
> found that it works pretty fine (albeit slowly) when connected
> to the USB 1.1 ports built in my Dell Inspiron 8200, but trying
> to connect it via the Hamlet PCMCIA USB2 Card Adapter doesn't
> work (it seems it gets assigned minors 1,2,3,4,5,6,... and so
> on forever until I unplug it).

What do you mean "minors"? Addresses or actual /dev/sdN numbers?

If it's addresses, that would be an an enumeration problem. Some
recent changes have caused prolems there, 2.6.11-rc3-mm2 ought to
have a patch making it better. (Well, working around one of the
two problems that'd suggest.)

If it's actual /dev/sdN numbers, that would seem to be an issue
more at the level of usb-storage. Quite possibly related to the
bugs you didn't exactly detail (below).

- Dave