Re: [Fastboot] Re: kdump on non-boot cpu

From: Eric W. Biederman
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 02:41:08 EST

Itsuro Oda <oda@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:

> > So I believe the fix needs to be to enable apics before we calibrate
> > the delay timer. I'm not certain off the top of my head what that
> > patch will look like but it should not be fundamentally hard.
> > With that code in place we also don't need to do any APIC shutdown
> > as the kernel knows enough to completely setup the apics.
>
> I see. Thank you for your explanation.

I have done a bit more digging.

For some reason, likely historical we don't initialize the
IO_APIC in init_IRQ(). Instead we wait until smp_prepare_cpus() or
smp_init(). Both functions are called much later in the init process
than calibrate_delay().

Given the separation that has happened between apics and SMP it should
be possible to initialize the local apic and the IO_APIC of the boot
cpu much earlier in the game. It looks like it may take some heavy
lifting though.

Eric