Linux Virtual Network Device

From: Matthias-Christian Ott
Date: Mon Feb 07 2005 - 14:58:56 EST

Hi!
I have the following the problem:
I have server which is connected to the internet via a gateway, on this server I want to run some uml machines. I want "equip" every uml machine with virtual network device (virX [e.g.; the name doesn't matter]). The virtual devices should be something like the "lo" device and their ip addresses shouldn't be used by the internet (I'm looking for something like 127.0.0.1). I want to give each uml machine a host name (e.g. xxx.myserver.mydomain.com), requests should be masqueraded (by bind or dnsmasq?) by their dns name (1.myserver.mydomain.com is 127.0.0.2 [vir0]). How to do this?

Links or Tutorials are welcome (I just found some outdated stuff on the uml website)

Thanks
Matthias-Christian Ott