Re: PCI Error reporting & recovery

From: Hidetoshi Seto
Date: Tue Feb 08 2005 - 03:21:48 EST

Hi, Ben.

How kind of you to remember.

Benjamin Herrenschmidt wrote:
I was reading the list archives for the discussion back in September
about PCI error reporting. Has there been any further progress on this
since then ?

Now I have a rewrite of the previous "clear/read_pci_errors" patch.
The new one adopts iomap infrastructure, considering generality,
capability and so on. And the part of its implementation for IA64 is
now under test using converted SCSI/NIC drivers.

Soon I'll post the patch to lkml(+IA64ML) with some explanation of the
change and the result of test, and will beg/hear comments.

I'm looking into adapting something for the need of ppc64 as well
(which, btw, has 1 slot = 1 bridge on most cases, but not all of them :)
which uses quite different low level mecanisms. (Basically, we have to
go through the firmware to get to the errors).

Also, our bridges are automatically isolating slots that had any error
on them (including DMA) and we have the ability to recover, by
triggering a reset on a given segment and that sort of thing, for which
I would like to provide dirvers with an API to control as well.

Finally, I was thinking about some richer semantics for the error
themselves. For example, on DMA error, we can sometimes get good details
about the faulting address etc... which may be intersting for the driver
to log, for diagnostic purpose at least.

Interesting.
Actually I don't have enough knowledge about platforms other than IA32/64,
so it will be helpful if you could tell me practical matters about ppc64
etc.

So I'd like to start from what you did back then and discuss possible
APIs for the above ideas / changes. What is the status of that stuff ?
did it evolve since then ?

It goes slowly but steadily...
I'd also like to start the discussion about PCI error reporting again.

Thanks,
H.Seto