Re: [ANNOUNCE] "iswraid" (ICHxR ataraid sub-driver) for 2.4.29

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 14:28:33 EST

Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:
On Sun, 06 Feb 2005 10:03:27 -0500, Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

I consider it not a new feature, but a missing feature, since otherwise
user data cannot be accessed in the RAID setups.

the same is true for all new hardware drivers and hardware support
patches. And for new DRM (since new X may need it) and new .. and
new ... where is the line?

for me a deep maintenance mode is about keeping existing stuff working;
all new hw support and derivative hardware support (such as this) can be
pointed at the new stable series... which has been out for quite some
time now..

Red herring.

2.4.x has ICH5/6 support -- but is missing the RAID support component.

We are talking about hardware that is ALREADY supported by 2.4.x kernel,
not new hardware.

We are also talking about inability to access data on hardware supported
by 2.4.x, not something that can easily be ignored or papered over with
a compatibility mode.

the same arguments can be used for crypto support etc.,
answer is - use 2.6.x or add extra patches to get 2.4.x working

It's fix in a sense. The hardware is supported now, just not very well. If an IDE chipset was capable of UDA4 and the driver only allowed UDA2 it would be a fix, in this case thehardware is supported partially, the RAID conponent isn't working, and this is the fix.

It is stretching a point, but adding support for all the features of hardware which is currently supported just seems to be a valud operation to me. New crypto feels more like adding a whole new device.

Opinion offered for clarification only, I don't feel strongly on this or crypto, but I do identify because I have hardware with a 2.4 driver and I can't use it unless I give up 2.6.

--
bill davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>
CTO TMR Associates, Inc