Re: [RFC] Reliable video POSTing on resume

From: Kendall Bennett
Date: Thu Feb 10 2005 - 16:22:22 EST

Matthew Garrett said the following on 2/10/2005 1:06 PM:
On Thu, 2005-02-10 at 12:46 -0800, Kendall Bennett wrote:

So perhaps this problem is something similar?

I don't think so - if I dd out of ROM, I get something that looks like a
video BIOS (and, indeed, I can make VBE calls to and from it). The
problem is jumping to c000:0003 and executing - this has the effect of
turning off the backlight and giving an illegal instruction error
(I /think/ - I may be getting the machine I have here confused with one
a tester has...)

Laptops are a little different as they will make calls from the Video BIOS into the system BIOS, so you need to make sure that the system BIOS is also available in the execution environment. So if you are using an x86 emulator, you need to make sure the system BIOS is mapped into the emulator image and that any necessary resources it might need are available.

Regards,

--
Kendall Bennett
Chief Executive Officer

~ SciTech SNAP - The future of device driver technology! ~