Re: 2.6.11-rc3-mm2

From: Matt Mackall
Date: Fri Feb 11 2005 - 04:43:31 EST

On Fri, Feb 11, 2005 at 09:59:42AM +0100, Ingo Molnar wrote:

> think of SCHED_FIFO on the desktop as an ugly wart, a hammer, that
> destroys the careful balance of priorities of SCHED_OTHER tasks. Yes, it
> can be useful if you _need_ a scheduling guarantee due to physical
> constraints, and it can be useful if the hardware (or the kernel) cannot
> buffer enough, but otherwise, it only causes problems.

Agreed. I think something short of full SCHED_FIFO will make most
desktop folks happy. But a) we still have to figure out exactly how to
do that and b) we still have to make everyone else happy. The embedded
folks (me included) would prefer to not run our realtime bits as root
too..

> but i'm not sure how rlimits will contain the whole problem - can
> rlimits be restricted to a single app (jackd)?

Yes. There's also the whole soft limit thing.