Re: 2.6.11-rc3-bk9 (radeon) hangs hard my laptop

From: Alessandro Suardi
Date: Sat Feb 12 2005 - 16:59:12 EST

On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 16:59:20 +0100, Alessandro Suardi
<alessandro.suardi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Sat, 12 Feb 2005 15:49:05 +0100, Alessandro Suardi
> <alessandro.suardi@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Dell Latitude C640, PIV @1.8Ghz, 1GB RAM, uptodate FC2
> >
> > -bk7 (which I currently rebooted in) is okay.
> > -bk9 at first try got me to the login prompt, logged in, ran startx...
> > frozen with the black background before seeing anything.
> >
> > Second try hung well before, at the point where it switches the
> > radeonfb on.
> >
> > Only cure is to keep the power button pressed for 10".
> >
> > Will try building -bk8 (which is currently running on my
> > old desktop K7-800) and report...
>
> -bk8 which I'm now booted in is also OK, so something
> broke between -bk8 and -bk9... attached .config and
> /var/log/messages from the boot in -bk8 and the one
> in -bk9 which succeeded before hanging on startx.

It's definitely the new radeon changes - replacing
drivers/video/aty/* and include/video/radeon.h in the
-bk9 tree with the ones from -bk8 causes the hang to
not reproduce anymore. CC'd Ben and edited subject
to more accurately reflect the issue.

Thanks,

--alessandro

"There is no distance that I don't see
I do have a will - No limit to my reach"

(Wallflowers, "Empire In My Mind")