Re: [Problem] slow write to dvd-ram since 2.6.7-bk8

From: Wakko Warner
Date: Sun Feb 13 2005 - 09:19:39 EST

Droebbel wrote:
> On recent kernels, writing to DVD-RAM is much slower than to be
> expected. A 3x Writer should do about 1.9MB/s including automatic
> verify. This is what I get with 2.6.7 up to bk7. However, from 2.6.7-bk8
> to 2.6.10 write speed is as low as 600 to 1000 kB/s. The drive's head
> jumps a lot more with these kernels. Reading is ok.
>
> I tested UDF and ext2 filesystems,
> DMA is ok according to hdparm,
> I set taskfile-io on and off when building the kernels,
> and I compared the settings for the io-scheduler.
>
> The drive is connected via onboard via82xx ide or usb2 external (both
> works perfectly with hd).
>
> The drive is a LG GSA-4163B; a GSA-4120 had the same problem as far as I
> remember.
>
> Medium: Panasonic 3x
>
> Could not find any kernel error messages.

I have:
Host: scsi1 Channel: 00 Id: 00 Lun: 00
Vendor: HL-DT-ST Model: DVDRAM GSA-4160B Rev: A300
Type: CD-ROM ANSI SCSI revision: 02

I also notice this with 2.6.10. I think I also had it with 2.6.8.1 but I
don't remember, it's been a while. The media I use is maxell DRM47 ver 2
(whatever that means). I don't notice any jumping, but the system is quite
noisy as it is. I have this same drive at work in a usb2 box but haven't
had the opportunity to try dvdram.

The DVDRAM above is not using ide-scsi emulation, it has a hardware scsi-ide
converter from Acard. (I already have my ide ports used). The scsi
controller is an adaptec dual u320 onboard (supermicro x5da8)