Re: COMMAND_LINE_SIZE increasing in 2.6.11-rc1-bk6

From: Werner Almesberger
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 00:52:31 EST

Eric W. Biederman wrote:
> For detecting devices especially in the case that takes
> a while that isn't something we need to do early
> in the boot process.

Yes, but I'd rather have a generic mechanism that works in all
reasonable cases. Things have a tendency of growing in the oddest
directions. E.g. when introducing the boot command line, all I
had in mind was to have a way to boot single-user mode :-)

> Well the data structure is still yet to be defined. The
> question you raised is how to pass it.

Err yes, that's what I wanted to say :) Some new mechanism to
pass the data, or a weird data structure instead of (as opposed
to be on) initrd/initramfs.

> Something like that. I have yet to see a even a proof of concept
> of the idea of passing device information, to clean up probes.

Yes, the kexec-based boot loader first, then this. For a
kexec-based boot loader, passing device scan results will be
very useful, plus it's a good environment for experimenting
with such a feature.

- Werner