Re: avoiding pci_disable_device()...

From: Alan Cox
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 14:14:30 EST

> > I'm hoping one or two things will happen now:
> > * janitors fix up the other PCI drivers along these lines
> > * improve the PCI API so that pci_request_regions() is axiomatic
>
> Do you have any suggestions for how to do this?

One would be to keep an "enabler" count.

If the device is enabled at boot then set it to one (video, legacy IDE
etc) and it never gets back to zero. Otherwise set it to zero and it
goes up and down with the last [ab]user clearing it to zero and turning
it off. That also deals with the "who disables" question for power
mismanagement where the same problem occurs

Alan