Re: avoiding pci_disable_device()...

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 14:57:11 EST

Takashi Iwai wrote:
At Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:34:13 -0800,
Greg KH wrote:

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:24:29PM +0100, Takashi Iwai wrote:

At Mon, 14 Feb 2005 11:06:19 -0800,
Greg KH wrote:

As a result, I have committed the attached patch to libata-2.6. In many cases, it is a "semantic fix", addressing the case

* pci_request_regions() indicates hardware is in use
* we rudely disable the in-use hardware

that would not occur in practice.

But better safe than sorry. Code cuts cut-n-pasted all over the place.

I'm hoping one or two things will happen now:
* janitors fix up the other PCI drivers along these lines
* improve the PCI API so that pci_request_regions() is axiomatic

Do you have any suggestions for how to do this?

How about to add an exclusiveness check in pci_enable_device()?
Most drivers suppose that the given pci resources are exclusively
available.

You mean only allow pci_enable_device() to work for the first caller of
it? I don't see how that would help this issue out.

Well, for example, add a new pointer to indicate the driver accessing
exclusively. And pci_enable_device() (maybe a new variant would be
better for compatibility) checks whether this is free.

The second caller wouldn't reach even to pci_request_regions() because
of this check. So, no side-effect of pci_disable_device() in the
error path.

This doesn't work with a driver that is properly using request_resource(), but not using the PCI API.

Jeff