Re: Radeon FB troubles with recent kernels

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 17:43:43 EST

On Mon, 2005-02-14 at 12:39 -0800, Matt Mackall wrote:
> On my Thinkpad T30 with a Radeon Mobility M7 LW, I get interesting
> console video corruption if I start GDM, switch back to text mode,
> then stop it again. X is Xfree86 from Debian/unstable or X.org 6.8.2.
>
> The corruption shows up whenever the console scrolls after X has been
> shut down and manifests as horizontal lines spaced about 4 pixel rows
> apart containing contents recognizable as the X display. Switch from
> vt1 to vt2 and back or visual bell clears things back to normal, but
> corruption will reappear on the next scroll.
>
> This has appeared in at least 2.6.11-rc3-mm2 and rc4.

Appeared ? hah... that's strange. X is known to fuck up the chip when
quit, but I wouldn't have expected any change due to the new version of
radeonfb. From what you describe, it looks like an offset register is
changed by X, or the surface control.

My patch did not change any of radeonfb accel code though...

I'll catch up with you on IRC ...

Ben.