Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001 release

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 18:22:57 EST

Lee> I don't see why so much effort goes into improving boot time
Lee> on the kernel side when the most obvious user space problem
Lee> is ignored.

How much of a win is it to run init scripts in parallel? I seem to
recall seeing tests that show that it doesn't make much difference and
may even slow things down by causing more disk seeks as various things
start up at the same time and cause reads of different files to get
interleaved.

On the other hand, hotplug is an area that real profiling of real
systems booting has identified as something that can be improved, and
Greg's hotplug-ng seems to be a step towards a measurable improvement.

- R.