Re: [OT] speeding boot process (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001release)

From: Tim Bird
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 19:19:46 EST

Lee Revell wrote:
> But, I was referring more to things like GDM not being started until all
> the other init scripts are done. Why not start it first, and let the
> network initialize while the user is logging in?

There are a number of techniques used by CE vendors to get fast bootup
time. Some CE products boot Linux in under 1 second. Sony's
best Linux boot time in the lab (from power on to user space)
was 148 milliseconds, on an ARM chip (running at 200 MHZ I believe).

Every product I know of that boots in under 1 second does it
by completely eliminating RC scripts, and using a custom init
program.

For anyone interested, CELF has some resources on this topic at:
http://tree.celinuxforum.org/CelfPubWiki/BootupTimeResources