Re: Radeon FB troubles with recent kernels

From: Benjamin Herrenschmidt
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 20:15:10 EST

> Nope. No printk outputs from _set_par, _write_mode, or _engine_init.
>
> Just to clarify: the gdm stop is done from tty1 while gdm is running
> on tty7, so I don't think it's a matter of mode switch logic.

Ohhh, this is a known bug then. When you kill X while it's not on the
front VT, it will crap on the engine. This has always been the case, I
suppose that if you didn't notice it before, it 's because you are
lucky :)

> If I do "sleep 5; /etc/init.d/gdm stop" and then switch to tty7 and
> wait for it to stop, all is fine.

Yes.

> Also, I'm still seeing the LCD blooming + hang on starting radeonfb.
> It's something like 1 in 10 boots rather than every boot now though.

Does it actually hangs ? That's weird... looks like a chip crash. Can
you check if that happens with radeonfb.default_dynclk=-1 on the kernel
command line ?

Ben.