Re: Radeon FB troubles with recent kernels

From: Vincent C Jones
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 22:44:40 EST

In article <3xVku-kH-15@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you write:
>On my Thinkpad T30 with a Radeon Mobility M7 LW, I get interesting
>console video corruption if I start GDM, switch back to text mode,
>then stop it again. X is Xfree86 from Debian/unstable or X.org 6.8.2.
>
>The corruption shows up whenever the console scrolls after X has been
>shut down and manifests as horizontal lines spaced about 4 pixel rows
>apart containing contents recognizable as the X display. Switch from
>vt1 to vt2 and back or visual bell clears things back to normal, but
>corruption will reappear on the next scroll.
>
>This has appeared in at least 2.6.11-rc3-mm2 and rc4.

On my Thinkpad X31 with a Radeon Mobility M6 LY I see a major
regression going from 2.6.11-rc3 to rc4. With rc-4, the frame
buffer console (using "video=radeonfb:1024x768-24@60") comes up as
640x480 expanded to 1024x768. The inability of ACPI suspend to turn
off the backlight also returns. Using rc-3, frame buffer console
works fine and suspend/resume appears to work reliably without
needing radeontool to turn off the backlight (as long as I do it
from X.org X).

--
Dr. Vincent C. Jones, PE Expert advice and a helping hand
Computer Network Consultant for those who want to manage and