Re: RTC Inappropriate ioctl for device

From: Randy.Dunlap
Date: Mon Feb 14 2005 - 22:57:06 EST

Aurélien GÉRÔME wrote:
Hi,

Having CONFIG_RTC=y, I tried on x86 the rtctest program found in
linux-2.6.10/Documentation/rtc.txt. However, it failed at:

ioctl(fd, RTC_UIE_ON, 0);

with:

ioctl: Inappropriate ioctl for device

Did I miss something? Maybe something else conflicts with CONFIG_RTC?

Cheers.

Do you have an HPET timer enabled? That could cause a conflict.

Does /proc/interrupts report rtc interrupts increasing when you
run rtctest?
I.e., does the number of this line increase like this?

8: 131 IO-APIC-edge rtc

rtctest works for me (2.6.11-rc4). Maybe send me the strace
output when you run rtctest and your .config file.
Oh, and your kernel boot log, maybe there are some rtc driver
messages in it.

--
~Randy