Re: [OT] speeding boot process (was Re: [ANNOUNCE] hotplug-ng 001 release)

From: Gábor Lénárt
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 02:33:55 EST

On Mon, Feb 14, 2005 at 08:45:39PM -0500, Kyle Moffett wrote:
> >last thing that gets run. There is just no reason for this. We should
> >start X and initialize the display and get the login prompt up there
> >ASAP, and let the system acquire the DHCP lease and start sendmail and
> >apache and get the date from the NTP server *in the background while I
> >am logging in*. It's not rocket science.
>
> Such a system needs a drastically different bootup process than
> currently
> exists, including the ability to specify init-script dependencies.
> (Like

Ok, so see Gentoo. Exactly fits your needs, it seems ;-) Dependencies are
supported, even paralell execution of init scripts are supported by default
design (you need to change only one setting to do this, IMHO, in
/etc/conf.d/rc). So it is already solved if you talking about the paralell
execution with dependency info in init scripts ...

Also the smf ability of Solaris10 seems to be interesting, but I don't want
to talk about it, since I have no time to see it in action, I've only read
about it, so ...

- Gábor