Re: What is the purpose of GPIO pins.

From: linux-os
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 07:24:09 EST

On Tue, 15 Feb 2005, krishna wrote:

Hi all,

Can any one tell me the purpose GPIO pin serves.
How are GPIO pins better than dedicated pins, considering hardware design view and for programming view.

Do you mean General Purpose I/O bits on a chip?
^ ^ ^ ^
If so, it is intended to live in the lower 16 megabytes of
an ix86 machine (higher addresses are not decoded), and at one
time, went to the ISA bus, but is now usually a simple
asynchronous bus off from some bridge.

From a hardware perspective, it's slow. From a programming
perspective, you don't care where it is.

Regards,
Krishna Chaitanya

Cheers,
Dick Johnson
Penguin : Linux version 2.6.10 on an i686 machine (5537.79 BogoMips).
98.36% of all statistics are fiction.