Re: [ACPI] Call for help: list of machines with working S3

From: Carl-Daniel Hailfinger
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 11:16:03 EST

Norbert Preining schrieb:
> On Mon, 14 Feb 2005, Pavel Machek wrote:
>
>>(1) systems where video state is preserved over S3.
>>
>>(2) systems where it is possible to call video bios during S3
>> resume. Unfortunately, it is not correct to call video BIOS at that
>> point, but it happens to work on some machines. Use
>> acpi_sleep=s3_bios.
>>
>>(3) systems that initialize video card into vga text mode and where BIOS
>> works well enough to be able to set video mode. Use
>> acpi_sleep=s3_mode on these.
>>
>>(4) on some systems s3_bios kicks video into text mode, and
>> acpi_sleep=s3_bios,s3_mode is needed.
>>
>>(5) radeon systems, where X can soft-boot your video card. You'll need
>> patched X, and plain text console (no vesafb or radeonfb), see
>> http://www.doesi.gmxhome.de/linux/tm800s3/s3.html.
>>
>>(6) other radeon systems, where vbetool is enough to bring system back
>> to life. Do vbetool vbestate save > /tmp/delme; echo 3 > /proc/acpi/sleep;
>> vbetool post; vbetool vbestate restore < /tmp/delme; setfont
>> <whatever>, and your video should work.
>>
>>Acer TM 800 vga=normal, X patches, see webpage (5)
>

> Acer TM 650 (Radeon M7)
>
> vga=normal plus boot-radeon (webpage(5)) works to get text console
> back. But switching to X freezes the computer completely.

Please try method (6). It should work perfectly because it is the successor
for method (5) and works even without special patches for X.

> X from debian sid.
> XFree86 Version 4.3.0.1 (Debian 4.3.0.dfsg.1-10 20041215174925 fabbione@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
> Release Date: 15 August 2003
> X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
> Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.26 i686 [ELF]
> Build Date: 15 December 2004
>

> I would like to get X running to, but there are no traces in the logfile
> whatsoever to be seen. Pity.

First, boot into X and run the following script ONCE:
#!/bin/bash
statedir=/root/s3/state
mkdir -p $statedir
chvt 2
sleep 1
vbetool vbestate save >$statedir/vbe

To suspend and resume properly, call the following script as root:
#!/bin/bash
statedir=/root/s3/state
curcons=`fgconsole`
fuser /dev/tty$curcons 2>/dev/null|xargs ps -o comm= -p|grep -q X && chvt 2
cat /dev/vcsa >$statedir/vcsa
sync
echo 3 >/proc/acpi/sleep
sync
vbetool post
vbetool vbestate restore <$statedir/vbe
cat $statedir/vcsa >/dev/vcsa
rckbd restart
chvt $[curcons%6+1]
chvt $curcons

Unless you change your grahics card or other hardware configuration,
the state once saved will be OK for every resume afterwards.
NOTE: The "rckbd restart" command may be different for your
distribution. Simply replace it with the command you would use to
set the fonts on screen.

> So it seems that my laptop does not fall in any of these categories.

Please try my scripts and resport back.

Regards,
Carl-Daniel
--