Re: ide-scsi is deprecated for cd burning! Use ide-cd and give dev=/dev/hdX as device

From: Kiniger
Date: Tue Feb 15 2005 - 18:26:32 EST

On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 03:15:14PM -0500, lsorense@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 15, 2005 at 08:48:13PM +0100, Kiniger, Karl (GE Healthcare) wrote:
> > I can confirm that. Creating a correct iso image from a CD is a
> > major pain w/o ide-scsi. Depending on what one has done before the iso
> > image is missing some data at the end most of the time.
> > (paired with lots of kernel error messages)
> >
> > Testing was done here using Joerg Schilling's sdd:
> >
> > sdd ivsize=`isosize /dev/cdxxx` if=/dev/cdxxx of=/dev/null \
> > bs=<several block sizes from 2048 up tried,does not matter>
> >
> > and most of the time it results in bad iso images....
>
> I have only ever used his readcd program for doing such things. It has
> been so long I can't even remember if it was using ide-scsi or ide-cd.
>
> For burning I use ide-cd with cdrecord and growisofs, and so far it has
> worked great. Flashing firmware on the plextor still requires ide-scsi
> though.

Burning has not been the problem here, just reading. At least
`isosize /dev/cdxxx` bytes have to be readable and I am always
burning with additional pad sectors at the end and even 32kb
were not always enough to get all files contents......

Karl

--
Karl Kiniger mailto:karl.kiniger@xxxxxxxxxx
GE Medical Systems Kretztechnik GmbH & Co OHG