[RFC] Linux Kernel SVN Howto - part two

From: Stelian Pop
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 11:02:28 EST

Hi,

[ ... Hoping this message will get past the vger filters and will
not continue the BK flamewar ... ]

[ ... in fact it did not pass the taboo filters, I modified the
$subject to pass. I feel it would be better if the list admins
publicly announced when a subject is being tabooed instead of
silenty doing it. Think at those reading the archives later... ]

I've updated my Subversion kernel howto and did some work on the
import scripts:
http://www.popies.net/svn-kernel/

There are now two possibilities to convert the bkcvs repository
into a SVN one:
* either using the original Ben Collins script, which will
map one Linus' changeset into a SVN revision (but all the
changesets which occured on another branch and got merged
by Linus will be packed into one single SVN revision)

* or using my modified script which analyses the file deltas
and tries to recreate the original changesets (based on the
assumption that the log messages for every file involved
in a changeset is identical). It works pretty well, if a
file hasn't been modified several times on a branch.

The repository creation instructions have also changed a bit,
improving the time necessary to do the conversion (on my AMD 2000+
I can create the full 2.6 repository in 2 hours using the first
script, 5 hours using the second script).

Feedback welcomed.

Stelian.
--
Stelian Pop <stelian@xxxxxxxxxx>