Re: Bug in SLES8 kernel 2.4.x freezing HP DL740/760

From: Matthias-Christian Ott
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 15:52:23 EST

Oliver Antwerpen wrote:

Hi out there,

If there is anybody out there using SLES8 on HP ProLiant DL740/760:
BEWARE!

SuSE has patched UNICON into the kernel which will cause these servers to hang when booted with vga=normal. The system will run fine in fb-mode, but not in plain text.

I cannot see, where this UNICON-patch comes from, it seems that is has been developed by some turbolinux-coders.

HP and SuSE have not been able to either fix this problem or at least warn someone about this bug, so I will do it now.
The bug is known since Nov 13th 2004.

If there should be anybody who can help, please contact me.

I hope this information will help someone to not run into deep trouble.

Oliver Antwerpen

Well if you don't need unicon, then remove the patch from the .spec file and rebuild the kernel (from the source rpm). Or report it their bug tracking system.

Matthias-Christian Ott