Re: Customized 2.6.10 kernel on a Compact Flash

From: Roland Dreier
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 16:53:59 EST

govind> Thanks for all the pointers. We had taken the /sbin/init
govind> from the existing Linux installation from where we had
govind> created the customized image. We need to have a inittab
govind> and we believe that we have set it correctly. The GRUB
govind> detects the CF hard disk as hda0 when we boot the embedded
govind> board and so in both the kernel parameter in grub.conf as
govind> well as in the inittab file we have / (root) marked as
govind> /dev/hda0. But we are perplexed by the message that the
govind> kernel prints out on being booted from the flash and just
govind> before panic'ing...

Using /dev/hda0 as root seems a little strange to me, as the usual way
of naming partitions starts with 1 (so the first partition would be
/dev/hda1). However the kernel seems to be finding and starting your
init executable, so that likely isn't your problem.

I would suggest starting by using a statically linked shell as your init
and building up from there.

- Roland