upcall via DNOTIFY against /proc files

From: Steve French
Date: Wed Feb 16 2005 - 18:10:11 EST

Is there any argument against using the DNOTIFY/poll upcall approach (against pseudo files e.g. in /proc or /sysfs) that e.g. nfs uses now to get from kernel space to get data back from user space helper routines (e.g. for idmapping and gssapi)? Since there could be security and potential denial of service implications in getting it wrong, I wanted to check if there are recent changes that I have missed that would be better approaches to this.

I was hoping that the kernel event mechanism would standardize a way to do this with less code someday.