Re: [BK] upgrade will be needed

From: Roland Kuhn
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 04:29:02 EST

Hi Clemens!

On Feb 17, 2005, at 9:09 AM, Clemens Schwaighofer wrote:

On 02/17/2005 04:55 PM, Roland Kuhn wrote:

That said, it would of course be possible to improve the internal
workflow of our emperor penguin if he used subversion, but the
collaboration with others could not benefit the way it does with a
changeset-based approach.

Question is then, what about keeping a main trunk with the vanialle
release, and each dev has its own branch. now at a certain point you
have to merge them. Now where is the difference between a central rep
and a de-central one.
At day X, patches from Andrew's tree have to go to Linus tree and from
his tree into the new vanialla kernel. right?
Somehow I can't see the difference here.

The difference comes after the merge. Suppose Andrew didn't push everything to Linus. Then new patches come in, both trees change. In this situation it is very time consuming with subversion to work out the changes which still have to go from Andrew's tree to Linus' tree.

Ciao,
Roland

--
TU Muenchen, Physik-Department E18, James-Franck-Str. 85747 Garching
Telefon 089/289-12592; Telefax 089/289-12570