Re: spam mails with the same Message-ID

From: Matthias-Christian Ott
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 14:54:35 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:

On Thu, Feb 17, 2005 at 10:26:55AM -0500, Parag Warudkar wrote:

On Thursday 17 February 2005 10:10 am, Paolo Ornati wrote:

ÄúºÃ£º
ÎÒÒÑ_­ÊÕµ_ÄúµÄÀ_ÐÅ

and... what does this means?

SPAM. This looks to me like a new way of spamming though, replying to valid mailing list messages. (I too received couple of these in reply to my messages.)

The most interesting fact seems to be that these spam messages have the same message ID as the original Mails.

If you run a program that automatically discards duplicate mails and the spam message reaches you faster than the original email through linux-kernel (which seems to often happen with these mails), the original email will be discarded.

I don't know whether these are known attacks, but the automatic discarding of duplicated emails offers attackers nice opportunities if they know a message ID (as with these emails) or can guess the
message ID (since many MUAs have predictable message IDs, an attacker C
could use this to suppress a message from person A to person B by sending an email with the message ID to person B bevor person B gets the email from person A).

Parag

cu
Adrian

The spamers become always cleverer :-) .

Matthias-Christian Ott