Re: [BK] upgrade will be needed

From: Horst von Brand
Date: Thu Feb 17 2005 - 23:17:19 EST

Clemens Schwaighofer <cs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> said:
> On 02/17/2005 01:57 PM, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> > Compare the number of developers, the number of overlapping
> > simultaneous development trees, and the number of patches that touch
> > overlapping files, and you'll begin to start to appreciate the
> > difference between a system that can work for Linux, and a system that
> > can working for simpler projects.

> apache might be simpler, but I doubt that for gcc. But well lets see
> what the gcc guys will decide.

gcc has very much less developers than the kernel. It has worked for years
around CVS' shortcommings, plus being a core GNU package, it is quite
unlikely to /ever/ go for a non-oss SCM. Plus the bureaucracy (have to have
a paper signing over ownership to the FSF for any changes) make a fully
Linux-style development unlikely (and thus BK (which was designed as SCM
for the kernel) not really useful).