Re: 2.6: drivers/input/power.c is never built

From: Richard Purdie
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 08:16:53 EST

> > In 2.6, drivers/input/power.c would only have been built if
> > CONFIG_INPUT_POWER was enabled - but it is nowhere possible to enable
> > this option.
>
> That was written a long time ago before the new power management went > in.
> On PDA's there is a power button and suspend button. So this was a hook
> so that the input layer could detect the power/suspend button being
> presses and then power down or turn off the device. Now that the new > power
> management is in what should we do?

Change power.c to generate power events like ACPI does, most likely.

There was some recent discussion of this on linux-input. It was basically agreed that the input system should pass the request on to ACPI and/or apm and Dmitry Torokhov (cc'd) proposed a patch that did this. His patch needed to be slightly modified to work with arm apm, the final result being:

http://www.rpsys.net/openzaurus/2.6.11-rc4/input_power-r1.patch

I can confirm this works well on arm with apm enabled.

Regards,

Richard