Re: 2.6: drivers/input/power.c is never built

From: Vojtech Pavlik
Date: Fri Feb 18 2005 - 16:43:33 EST

On Fri, Feb 18, 2005 at 10:23:19PM +0100, Oliver Neukum wrote:

> What is the benefit of splitting the flow of information so?

It's split already. You get some from input (power and sleep keys on
keyboards, sound volume keys and display brightness on some notebooks),
some from ACPI events (power keys on notebooks and desktop cases, sound
volume, display brightness on other notebooks), some from /proc/acpi/*
(battery status, fan status), some from APM, from platform specific
devices, from hotplug, from userspace daemons (UPS status).

The question is how to unify it.

Using power.c to simply pass power/sleep keys to the ACPI event pipe
could get the input subsystem out of the loop at least. Maybe we could
even pass sound keys to it.

It's probably still the best option, though I argued for doing it the
other way around - I want to know the pros and cons for all the possible
approaches.

--
Vojtech Pavlik
SuSE Labs, SuSE CR