Merging fails reading /dev/uba1

From: Pete Zaitcev
Date: Sun Feb 20 2005 - 23:02:29 EST

Hi, Jens:

I think this question belongs to your domain, but please let me know
if I'm mistaken, so I can pursue this elsewhere.

I encountered a strange performance anomaly. I do the following:

<----- Plug USB key
[root@lembas ~]# time dd if=/dev/uba of=/dev/null bs=10k count=10240
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out

real 0m22.731s
user 0m0.004s
sys 0m0.345s
[root@lembas ~]#

<----- Remove and replug the USB key
[root@lembas ~]# time dd if=/dev/uba1 of=/dev/null bs=10k count=10240
10240+0 records in
10240+0 records out

real 1m42.622s
user 0m0.005s
sys 0m1.518s
[root@lembas ~]#

So, reading from a partition of the same device is 5 times slower than
reading from the device itself. The question is, why?

To the best of my knowledge, this does not occur with SCSI (usb-storage
and sd or sr). This hints strongly that the ub is not doing something
right, but what that can be?

The ub takes the request processing machinery from Carmel exactly. I am
wondering if Carmel (sx8) exhibits any similar performance anomalies
(cc-ing to Jeff)

Additional information:

[root@lembas ~]# cat /proc/version
Linux version 2.6.11-rc4-lem (zaitcev@lembas) (gcc version 3.4.2 20041017 (Red Hat 3.4.2-6.fc3)) #1 Tue Feb 15 23:06:39 PST 2005